Board Job Description B 4.2
DIVISION B POLICIES
Section 4 Governance Process
4.2 Board Job Description
The job of the Christian Academy in Japan board, in accordance to God's call and on behalf of the evangelical* missionary community in Japan, is to determine, require, and monitor appropriate organizational performance. (SY 12-13:191, SY 15-16:69)
4.2.1 The board will provide the link between the school and the ownership. (SY 15-16:147)
- 126.96.36.199 The CAJ board informs its founding missions through their Japan leadership by means of the board minutes and any other necessary documents of special correspondence, of policies, actions, or information related to CAJ’s operation, which may be considered by the board as affecting those missions in Japan or their CAJ missionary constituency in a major way. (SY07-08:151; SY 10-11:155)
- 188.8.131.52 The CAJ board stands before the government as the official body of the school, holding the property and solely responsible for its operation and financial integrity.
4.2.2 The board will provide written governing policies in harmony with its constitution that, at the broadest levels, address each category of organizational decision:
- 184.108.40.206 ENDS: Organizational products, effects, benefits, outcomes, recipients, and their relative worth (what good for which recipients at what cost).
- 220.127.116.11 EXECUTIVE LIMITATIONS: Constraints on executive authority that establish the boundaries within which all executive activity and decisions must take place.
- 18.104.22.168 BOARD/HEAD OF SCHOOL LINKAGE: How power is delegated and its proper use monitored; the head of school role, authority, and accountability.
- 22.214.171.124 GOVERNANCE PROCESS: Specification of how the board conceives, carries out, and monitors its own performance.
4.2.3 The board shall appoint a head of school who is qualified to carry out the program based upon policies of the school. Initial appointment shall require a two-thirds majority vote of the board of directors and simple majority vote of the board of councilors. Contract renewal shall also require a two-thirds majority vote of the board of directors. (SY 10-11:19, SY 15-16, 25, SY 15-16:148))
4.2.4 The board will assure head of school performance (measured by compliance with policies 4.2.2.l and 126.96.36.199).
4.2.5 The board shall not fail to have a plan in place for recruiting a new head of school, including hiring a consultant if necessary. (SY 08-09:142; SY 13-14:27)
4.2.6 The board shall hold all property belonging to the Christian Academy in Japan, Incorporated. All purchases and sales of immovable property and/or major alterations shall have the approval of three-fourths of the board and the Governor of Tokyo.
4.2.7 Board officer elections (SY 13-14:64)
- 188.8.131.52 Before May 1 the board shall elect the following: (SY 10-11:19; SY 12-13:17)
- 184.108.40.206.1 Officers of the gakkou houjin: board chairman, vice chairman, and vice chairman of finances (cf. Act of Endowment, Chapter 3) (SY 09-10:143; SY 11-12:171)
- 220.127.116.11.2 A board secretary from among its members
- 18.104.22.168.3 The head of school shall not serve as an officer or the secretary. (SY 12-13:18)
- 22.214.171.124 The term of office shall be for one year, beginning July 1.
- 126.96.36.199 Election procedure
- 188.8.131.52.1 A supervisor-auditor shall be asked to chair the election of board officers. (SY 12-13:19)
- 184.108.40.206.2 One position shall be filled at a time, and in the order of board chairman, vice chairman, vice chairman of finances, and secretary.
- 220.127.116.11.3 Nomination shall be oral, except when otherwise requested, and voted by the board, in which case nominations may be by ballot.
- 18.104.22.168.4 Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- 22.214.171.124.5 Elections to fill unexpired terms may be held at any time, with at least two weeks' notice to all members of the board.
4.2.8 Officers of the gakkou houjin (SY 09-10:143)
- 126.96.36.199 Board chair. The chair shall be the official representative of the corporate body before the Japanese authorities, shall preside at all meetings of the board, and enforce the provisions of its act of endowment and constitution. The chair does not vote in Directors’ meetings except to break a tie. The chair is an ex-officio non-voting member of all committees, but may cast a vote to break a tie. (SY 16-17:14)
- 188.8.131.52 Vice chairman. The vice chairman shall assist the chairman whenever possible in the discharge of duties, and in the absence of the chairman, shall take over the chairman’s duties.
- 184.108.40.206 Vice chairman of finances. The vice chair of finances shall collaborate as necessary with the business manager regarding the financial affairs of the school. (SY16-17:35)
- 220.127.116.11 The secretary shall be responsible for the official documents of the board, updating them regularly to reflect any changes made as a result of board action. These documents shall include the Act of Endowment of the gakkou houjin, the Constitution and Bylaws, and the board manual. (SY 09-10:143, SY 15-16:151)
- 18.104.22.168 The secretary shall conduct correspondence and keep on record the approved minutes of all meetings of the board.
- 22.214.171.124.1 Individual opinions will not be recorded.
- 126.96.36.199.2 Defeated motions will not be recorded unless requested by two members and approved by a majority.
- 188.8.131.52.3 Vote totals will not be recorded unless requested by two members and approved by a majority. Individual votes will not be recorded.
- 184.108.40.206 The secretary shall prepare minutes of all meetings of the board and shall make them publicly available. (SY07- 08:150; SY 10-11:156; SY 12-13:20)
- 220.127.116.11.1 The board secretary shall be responsible for ensuring a copy of the board minutes is kept in the board secretary file. (SY 08-09:6; SY 12-13:21)
- 18.104.22.168 The secretary shall prepare separate minutes of all items declared to be “executive action,” which shall be distributed only to board members and the head of school. An action of the board may be considered executive action when thus requested by two or more members of the board or by majority decision. Personnel matters and discipline of students and staff will go in executive action minutes. (SY 16-17:14)
- 22.214.171.124 Board minutes, including executive action, shall be reviewed and signed by all board members present at the meeting documented by the minutes. (SY 07-08:70, SY 14-15:68)
- 126.96.36.199 All board related documents will be posted to BRENDA by the board secretary or the board chair who will receive training as needed. (SY18-19:122)
- 188.8.131.52.1 The executive action minutes will only be posted to BRENDA by the board secretary or the board chair.(SY18-19:109)
4.2.10 Supervisor-auditors. The term of office for supervisor-auditors shall be the same as the two-year period defined for board members in the act of endowment.
4.2.11 A social duties coordinator shall be appointed by the board chair to:
- 184.108.40.206 Serve as liaison with the administration in matters regarding social functions.
- 220.127.116.11 Coordinate board-related social functions.
- We define evangelical as being:
(Revised – SY07-08:70; SY07-08:150, 151; SY 08-09:6; SY 10-11:162)
(Page revised 01/15, 01/16, 05/16, 11/16)